The Collectorate play a pivotal role in the District administration. Collector in the Cadre of I.A.S heads the District. He acts as the District Magistrate for maintaining Law and Order in his jurisdiction. He deals mainly with planning and development, law and order, scheduled areas/agency areas, general elections, arms licensing etc.
The responsibilities assigned are as follows-
As District Magistrate
- Maintain the law and order.
- Supervision of the police and jails.
- Supervision of subordinate Executive magistracy.
- Hearing cases under the preventive section of the Criminal Procedure Code.
- Supervision of jails and certification of execution of capital sentences.
- Arbitrator of land acquisition.
- Disaster management during natural calamities such as floods, famines or epidemics.
- Crisis management during riots or external aggression.
- Land assessment
- Land acquisition
- Collection of income tax dues, excise duties, irrigation dues etc.
- Distribution of agricultural loans
As Deputy Commissioner/District Commissioner
- Reports to Divisional Commissioner on all matters.
As District Election Officer
- Conducts Elections in the district, be it General, Assembly or Municipal.
- Acts as the Returning Officer for the Lok Sabha constituency in the district.
A District Magistrate is assisted by some following for carrying out day-to-day work in various fields-
- Suprintendant of Police
- Additional District Magistrate
- Chief Development Officer
- Sub- Divisional Magistrate
- Other Officers
Collectorate Kasganj initially setup in Nagar Palika Kasganj Compound. Now Collectorate has its own building on Soron Road. Almost all the office shifted to new collectorate campus. District Magistrate executes and supervises all the activities from his new office. It is situated on Soron Road which is well connected with Road and Railway system. The nearest Railway station is Soron.
The complete address of Collectorate Kasganj as Collectorate Kasganj, Village Devari Prahladpur, Soron Road, Kasganj UP- 207123.